An Engineering Capstone Attempts to Solve a Real-life Engineering Problem
Your senior engineering capstone helps you display your competence in your field. It offers you an opportunity to convert classroom knowledge into real engineering solutions for real engineering issues.
In the process, all of the facts and principles you’ve learned in class come alive. You begin to realize that facts and theories and concepts are things rather than just words in engineering textbooks.
Have you decided on an idea you can execute? Maybe you haven’t. We guess that’s why you’re reading this page. You want to look at a few capstone project ideas engineering in the hope you’ll get some inspiration.
See Your Engineering Capstone Project as Your First Job
The senior capstone project in engineering is like your first job in the real engineering world. Engineers are always solving problems, and this project introduces you to an experience that’s much like what happens in actual engineering jobs.
Usually, the senior capstone attempts to solve problems real businesses are trying to address. These companies benefit from having brilliant minds work on their issues without requiring them (the companies) to spend too much money.
You’ll likely work in a group. The whole process starts with the development of a project plan. At this point, you should define your project objectives, client needs, end-user needs as well as success metrics. Also, you should identify any potential project constraints. But you’re here for….
Engineering Capstone Project Ideas
- Projectile Impact Testing
- Protection System for Overvoltage and Undervoltage
- Self-switching Power Supply
- Marx Generator Principles: High-voltage Direct Current
- Induction Motor Protection System
- Password-based Circuit Breaker
- Industrial Temperature Control
- Solar-powered Auto-irrigation System
- Optimum Energy Management System
- Electrical Loads Control
- Speed Control Unit
- Modern Traffic Signal Control System for Accident Alerts by Using Camera Surveillance System
- Advances in Renewable Energy Sources
- Fingerprint Recognition Based ATM Terminal
- Hotel Power Management System Based on Personal Computer
- Broken Conductors Detection for Overhead Lines
- Intelligent RFID Based Shopping Trolley System
- Controlling Speed of Alternating Current Motor through Touch Screen Technology
- Using Compost Heat Source for Greenhouse Heating System
- Portable Emergency Generator
- A Bi-Directional Visitors Counter
- Using Radio Frequency Technology to Develop Wireless Three-Phase Starter Motor
- Using Bluetooth Device for Advanced Wireless Industrial Mechanization System
- Implementing Digital Control Strategy in Asymmetric Cascaded Multilevel Inverter
- Using DC Reduction Motor for Designing a Humanoid Robotic System
- Using Low Voltage Alert System for Monitoring of Real-time Car Battery
- Using Radio Link for Personal Computer Alarm and Remote Monitoring
- Using 8051 Microcontroller for Access Control System
- Programmable Logic Controllers for Industrial Material Segregation
- Monitoring and Controlling Petroleum Tank through Wireless Means
- Employing Microcontroller for Temperature Measurement System
- Automatic Gate Controller Based on Programmable Logic Controller
- Directional Control for Solar Panels
- Red Traffic Light Detector
- Automatic Emergency Light System Based on Light Emitting Diode
That’s quite some list. Hopefully, you’ve settled on an idea you can research. We need to repeat this: take your senior capstone seriously. It could be the bridge that connects you with your life’s work.
It’s possible you didn’t find any idea you might want to explore. But if our ideas got you thinking about a different idea you could execute, we just did our job — we inspired you.